Saturday, February 23, 2013

Published! or I'm a real boy now!



Well it's official. I'm published. I was a little drunk last night when I realized my books had been posted online. I rolled over to my fiance' and said (in slurry drunkinese) "Look babe, I'm a REAL comic book artist now!" She just rolled over and said something supportive like, "That's nice dear, now you just have to market it, and add tags, and blah blah..."
I stopped listening as the terror set in. I have no idea how to sell myself. I guess I'm going to have to learn fast. The best part about the internet is that you don't need a publisher. The worst part about not having a publisher is you have to promote yourself. Any artist out there will tell you that we aren't interested in pimping ourselves to anyone, we just want to draw. Let someone else keep their pimp hand strong. However, that's part of the package of being independent. Maybe I can trick my fiance' into doing it for me. We'll see (rubs hands together and twirls mustache)
I'm going to set aside some time to learn how to promote myself. I'll start with contacting websites like Comics Alliance and go from there. I'll post about my inevitable failures in the future, and let you know what I learned and how I overcame adversity... or something motivational like that. 

Anyway, issues 1 and 2 are up on Amazon, Graphicly, iBooks, and probably a few other places. I still need to work out some issues with pricing though. I wanted the first issue to be free, but it's showing as $1.99 on iBooks. I'll just give Graphicly a ringy ding ding and see if they can fix that for me.
(Shameless plug for Graphicly) I have to say, Graphicly has been EXCELLENT. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford the $150 it costs to put a book up. However, it is completely worth it. They take care of formatting your book, publishing it to all of the online distribution channels, and even have this neat widget that allows you to direct the reading experience before posting. 
Also, Graphicly's customer service is excellent. I had an issue uploading one of my files. I emailed on a Sunday, and they responded almost immediately. Yeah, you heard me! SUNDAY. I had the issue resolved by the end of the day and they were so nice. 
I'm definitely feeling the love. It's February, my books are online, and every thing seems to be coming up roses (or whatever flower you like). So, just to be on the safe side I submit to you a sketch I did a few years ago. I was having a difficult time before I met my soon to be wife. I couldn't understand why relationships are so hard. It couldn't be me that's for sure. (insert sarcasm sign here). So I came up with someone to blame. LOVE GREMLINS. Yes, that's it! It's all their fault. They messed up planes and trucks in WWII, why not relationships too.
So now if you ever have a problem with your significant other, don't blame yourself like a sane rational person, just blame the gremlins! Happy belated Valentine's day.


No comments:

Post a Comment