Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pencil Power


Time to talk about tools. For years I wondered what other artists used to draw comics. Now that I'm figuring it out, I want to share! I'll cover pencils today and move on to other materials in later posts.

I, like many comic artists, was raised on the trusty #2 pencil. Why not? They were standard issue in school. I remember sharpening my pencil down to a nub, then tossing it for a fresh one. Eventually, I got bored with that generic yellow glare coming off my #2 and started using color coated pencils. They were still regular #2 graphite, but damn did they look neat. I had Halloween pencils, seasonal, glossy, polka dot, etc. My pencil box looked like a rainbow dragon puked in it. The only bad part was the inconsistency. 

Then came the internet! Yes, I remember the days of Encyclopedia Britannica. I was able to find interviews with giants like Joe Madureira and Chris Bachalo. They all mentioned the infamous LEAD HOLDER. So if they used one, then of course I had to run out and buy 20. Well, maybe only 1, but still. So now like my heroes, I too use a lead holder and love it. Here's a shot of my lead holders, the sharpener, and my peel-off eraser. 




Lead holders are basically a fancy mechanical pencil. My main holder is a Staedtler Mars Technico 780. You can usually find one at any decent art store. The other is a Prismacolor holder my brother gave me. I recommend using a separate sharpener and not the one built into the back of the pencil. The dust gets all over my picture while I'm trying to draw, and smearing makes me grumpy.

There are plenty of benefits to using a lead holder. First off, it never gets shorter. You sharpen the lead and not the pencil. I found that over time I would start holding my pencil differently as it got shorter. The shortening of your pencil takes time and is gradual. However, switching back to a brand new pencil is immediate. Going instantly from two inches to six inches can be traumatizing to your hand... (insert lewd jokes here). 

Also, I find the lead holds a point longer than a regular pencil. Maybe it's because I use an F, which is a littler harder than a #2. You can find boxes of pencils with varying hardnesses at any art store. I'm not knocking art pencils, They're just not my thing. I don't need a bunch of leftover B's rolling around in my desk drawer. Plus B's smear. And we all know that smearing makes me grumpy.

I think the biggest benefit is consistency. I've been using one for a few years now and know exactly what kind of lines I'm going to get. I guess that's why the big guys us them. Consistency is key when you are drawing every day. It's like bowling... get your own ball, don't just use what's laying around! 

Here's a sample of my pencils from Black Hole Cafe #2.




I've given you my opinion about pencils. But above all else, find what works for you. Don't just take my word for it. Go out and try everything until you settle on something that matches your style.


Next post: Let's talk about paper. Until then, Keep Drawing!


No comments:

Post a Comment